Working remotely is a reality some of the time for me as it may be for you. However, when you interact with clients whether you work from home or are out and about, it is still a good idea to look like a working professional.
We need to get dressed anyway so let’s get up, be well dressed and get to it. We’ve moved on from the WFH habit of dressing from the waist up! It may be time to move it up a notch from the leggings and track suit bottoms and revisit what you wear to work.
To help you plan a wardrobe that fits in with your budget and can take you from day to an evening event, I’ve come up with my top ten work wardrobe classics which in keeping with the times has been updated slightly from pre 2020 days.
Whether your personal brand is classic and elegant or casual and fashionable, a few essential clothing items can form the basis of your wardrobe.
This selection of top ten items for women and men can be packed in a bag for a business trip or built upon with other items and accessories to create a more comprehensive wardrobe collection.
1. Little Black Dress. Always a timeless classic. It could also be a stand-out signature colour – although not as versatile
2. Tailored suit (or near enough) of ideally 3 pieces, skirt and/or pant, dress and jacket
3. White long sleeved, collared shirt, can be worn in a casual or professional environment
4. Interesting or elegant blouse
5. White/beige shell top
6. Classic skirt just to the knee that goes with everything
7. Evening top
8. ¾ length trench coat is classic or for cooler climates a warm, longer line coat
9. Quality handbag in leather
10. One pair of quality fabulous shoes. PS I love my black ballet flats for work from anywhere
Bonus: Classic dark blue jeans are a staple item to include in your everyday wardrobe
1. Tailored suit, with ideally 2 pants and 1 jacket. Classic colours are navy and charcoal grey
2. White long sleeved and collared shirt. A crisp, white dress shirt is versatile and can be worn for formal occasions or dressed down for a casual look
3. Casual/businesslike shirt with long sleeves
4. White polo shirt
5. Light weight wool, crew neck jumper
6. Quality tie (just in case) and classic watch
7. Quality belt in brown or black
8. Blazer/Sports jacket. Navy is a polished and classic choice as it can be worn with jeans and dress pants
9. Smart lace up shoes and/or classic low-heeled boot are versatile and timeless
10. Classic dark blue jeans are a staple item to include in your everyday wardrobe
Bonus: White sneakers for less formal days are also a functional item to include in your wardrobe
These classic wardrobe items for both men and women are versatile, timeless and can serve as the foundation for building a stylish and professional work wear wardrobe.
Need more tips on how to update and determine your personal brand image? Then download my free video series, NOOK, LOOK, HOOK 3 Steps to Build a Stand Out Personal Brand.
Sue Currie is a speaker and the author of IMPRESSario, Present and Promote the Star Within You. She is passionate about helping business executives and entrepreneurial professionals elevate their personal brand, image and professional presence. Sue’s suite of image management services delivered through workshops, consulting, coaching and keynote presentations provides a multi-faceted approach to gain high transformation for her clients.